Portsmouth Local Information Guide
As a local removal company based in Portsmouth, we love our home city and our community. Below is some useful information about Portsmouth to help you learn more about this beautiful historical city.
Portsmouth is a port city that was primarily built on Portsea Island in the county of Hampshire, South East England. It is also the only island city in the United Kingdom. Portsmouth has a nickname called ‘Pompey’, a nickname that was shared with HMNB Portsmouth and the Portsmouth Football Club.
Portsmouth is located about 19 miles south East of Southampton and 14 miles from the island of Isle of Wight. Chichester is about 17 miles away and the distance to Bognor Regis is about 22 miles. London is around 73 miles away from Portsmouth and If you are travelling by car, it will take you about 2 hours to drive via A3.
Portsmouth is a vibrant city with a lot to do and see. It’s famous for Maritime Heritage and Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. If you are looking for information about the best places to visit in Portsmouth, you can find out more by reading our guide here – Top Places to Visit in Portsmouth.
For places to eat in Portsmouth, our top pick foodie guide is here for your reference – 5 Best British Restaurants in Portsmouth.
Need a place to stay in Portsmouth? No worries, we have a blog post on top-rated accommodation where you can stay in Portsmouth. Find out more by clicking here – 7 Top Rated Accommodations in Portsmouth You Should Stay At.
If you’re thinking of moving to Portsmouth and wonder what is it like to live in Portsmouth, we have a helpful blog post here for you – 11 Reasons You Should Be Living in Portsmouth.
• Population: approximately 205,100 ( In 2011)
• Longitude/latitude: 50.81957, -1.08712
• Post codes: PO1, PO2, PO3, PO4, PO5, PO6, PO7, PO8.
• Portsmouth is located primarily on Portsea Island and is the United Kingdom’s only island city, although the city has expanded to the mainland. Gosport is a borough to the west.
• The closest airport is Southampton Airport (SOU). It takes about 30 minutes to reach Southampton Airport from Portsmouth by car and around 45 minutes by train.
• Whether you are living in Portsmouth or you’re simply visiting this beautiful historical port city, there is never a shortage of popular attractions and entertainment.
Top Sights in Portsmouth
Questions and Answers About Portsmouth
Portsmouth is a vibrant city with plenty to do and see, you have brilliant choice of activities and facilities, from dining, sightseeing to shopping, Portsmouth can offer you a lively and exciting lifestyle.
The main shopping district is located in the Gunwharf Quays shopping centre and offers more than 90 popular outlet stores. The good neighbourhoods to live in Portsmouth include Baffins, Copnor, Drayton, and Farlington. You can learn more about the city of Portsmouth by clicking here – 11 Reasons You Should Be Living in Portsmouth
According to Uswitch statistics, the cost of living in Portsmouth is considered to be one of the highest in the Uk, with an average of £63 for groceries per week per person, this figure shown is as expensive as in greater London.
We have a comprehensive guide about living in Portsmouth and you can find out more by clicking here – Living in Portsmouth
Portsmouth has a good mix of infant, primary and secondary schools for the local children. Top performers in the area include Portsmouth High School, St Johns College, and Priory and Charter Academy. All of these schools are very highly regarded by Ofsted, meaning students living in Portsmouth are well accounted for.
Portsmouth is also home to Portsmouth Grammar School. This prestigious school is considered one of the best in the country, with places highly regarded. You can find out more information about the schools in Portsmouth by visiting the School Guide here.
Other Information About Portsmouth
Driving Directions From Portsmouth to Curtiss & Sons Office
Our office is located at Quartremaine Road, Copnor, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO3 5QH
- Head east on Gruneisen Rd towards Wilson Rd
- Follow Stamshaw Rd/A3 to Angerstein Rd in North End
- Turn left onto Angerstein Rd
- Continue on Stubbington Ave to Dundas Ln
- Follow Dundas Ln to Quartremaine Rd
- Curtiss & Sons Portsmouth